Thursday, March 24, 2016

Novruz

This week, Azerbaijan celebrated Novruz, the spring New Year.  It is an ancient holiday with many customs.  I was lucky enough to participate in a few of them.

One of the most visible, and dramatic, customs is fire jumping.  On the four Tuesdays leading up to Novruz, people light bonfires and jump over them.  By jumping over the fire, you leave behind any misdeeds or ill will from the prior year and start the new year with a clean slate.

Erica jumping the fire

The embassy held a small fire-jumping event where I was able to practice my jumping technique.  With that jump under my belt, on the last Tuesday before Novruz, we went into Baku's Old City to find a bigger bonfire to conquer.  We had to search through the narrow streets, but finally found one.  It was definitely bigger, and a bit intimidating, but after letting our Marine friends lead the way, I gave it a go and had my fire-jumping fill.  (Jeremy twisted his knee a few weeks ago, so refrained from jumping.)

EJ in mid-air through the flames

Soon a band kicked into high gear and we joined the crowd in some traditional dances, including a group circle dance around the bonfire.

Erica and Jeremy master the circle dance

Another very visible custom of Novruz is samani - wheatgrass shoots - a symbol of rebirth.  It is a typical decoration on the Novruz table, and usually included in Novruz gift baskets of nuts, dried fruits, baklava, and other Azeri pastries given amongst friends, neighbors, and colleagues at this time of year.  I love the bright green color of the samani, but love even more the fabulous shekebura (pastry filled with nuts and sweetness) found in many of these baskets!

Gift basket of samani, nuts, and sweets

Novruz Bayraminiz Mubarek - Happy Novruz!

1 comment:

  1. I love that I just stumbled across a picture of my host sister Sabina while looking for pictures of novruz fire jumping! Happy Novruz!

    Rae, AZ-5 RPCV

    ReplyDelete