Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Christmas in Baku

Since Azerbaijan is a Muslim country, I didn't expect to find much Christmas in Baku.  Boy was I wrong!

Since early December, there has been a holiday market in Fountain Square in center city.  I heard it's technically for New Years, but it sure seemed to be inspired by German Christmas markets.  Of course, it still had Azerbaijani flair, with speakers pumping out loud dance tunes throughout the day.

Erica enjoying the holiday market

Many storefronts also had bright displays with Christmas trees, gingerbread houses, and wrapped presents.  My favorite was the one shown below.  It had a mannequin with a skirt made of peacock feathers wrapped with a strand of Christmas lights.  Underneath was a sign that read "Mezzy Christmas."  I have no idea what it all meant, but it sure brought a grin to my face!

A very "Mezzy Christmas" to you!

I got to see the Nutcracker ballet for the first time in at least 5 years.  It was an interesting performance, most notably because the same dancer who portrayed Clara was also the Sugar Plum Fairy.  I'm a little hazy on the exact details of the story, but I thought Clara was supposed to be a young girl, and the Sugar Plum Fairy was a grown woman.  Oh well.  I was happy to see a ballet, with live orchestra and choral accompaniment.  Plus I got a free ticket in the 4th row through my embassy colleague who knew one of the dancers, so I really can't complain!

Nutcracker Waltz of the Flowers

I also spied several Santas around town, including this one pictured below who was displayed on the sidewalk next to a popular bathhouse, whose customers stared at us when we stopped to take a photo.  I guess they were not as amused by Santa as we were!

Jeremy was super psyched to see Santa!

And, of course, we had our own little Christmas display in the house, with stockings, a tree, reindeer, and our infamous Christmas hats.  No snow here, thank goodness, but a lovely Christmas nonetheless and lots of good friends to celebrate with!

The Covers hope you had a Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment